We love pasta casseroles because they are incredibly quick and easy to make. Plus this one earns bonus points for only getting better as leftovers.
With two types of cheese and deliciously crispy breadcrumbs, it will most likely win over everyone in the family. My little guy doesn’t even notice the veggies, which you can sub for a variety of your own favorites. To mix it up, try adding eggplant, squash, or tomatoes.
Baked Veggie Rigatoni
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 1/2 lb baby bell mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 whole zucchinis
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup cream
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Boil slightly salted water in large pot on high
- Thinly slice mushrooms
- Cut zucchini lengthwise, then thinly slice
- Peel and chop garlic
- Combine breadcrumbs and 1/4 c pecorino with 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook al dente, approx 10 minutes. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, brown the mushrooms. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat until hot. Add sliced mushrooms in a thin layer. Cook 3-4 minutes, without stirring, until browned. Add red pepper flakes to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook 1 minute to combine. Transfer to 9×13 baking dish.
- Wipe pan to cook zucchini. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add sliced zuchinni in a thin layer. Cook 3-4 minutes, without stirring, until browned. Add chopped garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook 1 minute to combine. Gently add cream, stirring constantly until combined approximately 1 minute. Transfer to baking dish.
- Add cooked pasta, mozzarella, fontina, and pesto to baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and arrange in an even layer
- Top with breadcrumbs
- Bake casserole approximately 10 minutes until lightly browned
- Remove from oven and let stand 2 minutes before serving
- Garnish with pecorino
Pin For Later
Looking for more family recipes, activities, and motherhood content?
mama • wife • teacher | Helping busy moms & full time 9-to-5ers create websites + brands that make a difference. FREE digital marketing guides. ⬇️